Kaiju films are awesome – I even have love for the crappy ones. Seriously though, are there even any crappy ones?
My first and greatest kaiju love was for Godzilla. Truthfully, he was all I really knew as a young kid glued to TBS late at night in the 1980s. But that is where I discovered the King of Monsters and have had a fond appreciation of him and the dozens upon dozens of sequels and clones he’s spawned.
I recently ranked the films of Godzilla’s first run, referred to as the Shōwa Era. So I figured that I would also have to rank his second run of films, known as the Heisei Era. These films span from 1984 to 1995. They started with a reboot film, which was sort of a sequel to the original Gojira, while ignoring the continuity of its original sequels in the Shōwa Era. But it would also be the first of many Godzilla reboots.
Well, here they are, ranked.
1. Return of Godzilla (1984)
2. Godzilla 1985 – American version of Return of Godzilla (1985)
3. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
4. Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
5. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
6. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
7. Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle For Earth (1992)
8. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)